The Festival of Cycladic Cooking "Nikolaos Tselementes" enters the second decade of its "life" on September 7th, 8th & 9th and promises new savory "journeys".
Having received the GOLD medal at the "European gastronomic festival 2016" and the SILVER medal at the Best City Awards 2016, together with the collective effort and volunteering of all the participants, aims to further promote local products of the Cycladic land and the special gastronomy of our islands.
This year, the 11th Festival is co-organized by the Cultural Association of Sifnos, the South Aegean Administrative Region and the Municipality of Sifnos, and will host products and authentic traditional recipes, while simultaneously promoting the importance of proper nutrition through various events for children and adults
The festival is organized with love and passion in order to accommodate even more visitors, volunteers and guests (including places outside the Cyclades group) and focuses on the food recipes. Traditional and with local ingredients, they are generously offered both in written form (in Greek and other languages) and in edible form as treats, creating pleasant and festive atmosphere, genuine characteristics of the great Greek family and friendly gatherings The three-day program includes:
Every afternoon from 19:00 onwards at Artemonas square & “Steno”...
- Traditional recipe cooking: Various islands and regions present, demonstrate and cook for you their local recipes.
- Paidomageiremata: Cooking with children, aimed at introducing a healthier diet to our young friends, and many other activities for childre
- Display and distribution of traditional products
Other events at the Festival’s main area & Artemonas “Steno”...
- On Thursday, September 7th, at 20.00, at Dragatsi Building in Artemonas “Steno”:
- "Reviving the Pottery Art of Sifnos": A historical retrospective of the pottery tradition of our island by Lydia Khopsopoulou, architect.
- Friday, September 8th, at 21:00 at the Festival:
- Display and tasting of Cycladic cheese
- Saturday, September 9th, at 19:30, at THEODOROU confectionery
- "Gastronomic communities - small producers - local products. Their contribution to the development of local gastronomy" by George Pittas, member of the Board of Directors of the Hellenic Chamber of Hotels and creator of “GREEK GASTRONOMY GUIDE”, the journalist and writer Nana Dareioti, and the journalist and editor of "Gastronomos" magazine Dimitris Rousounelos.
- Music and dance "surprises" throughout your stroll in Artemonas little alleys
Every night, after the cooking shows, music and dance events ..
- Thursday, September 7th:
- The Adult Sifnos Theatrical Workshop presents the theatrical performance "Tselementes from Sifnos, the old and the new"
- Gathering of traditional musicians and dancers from the hosted areas
- Friday, September 8th:
- “Marrying" Customs and traditions of the Sifnian wedding ceremony. The wedding ceremony will start at 18:00 at Exambela, from the chef’s Nikolaos Tselementes house, navigate through the island’s central villages and finish at the Festival area in Artemonas, where traditional musicians will play wedding songs and more.
- Saturday, September 9th:
- Greetings and farewells at the 11th Cycladic Cooking Festival "Nicolaos Tselementes"
- Celebrating and dancing for all with GIANNI KONITOPOULOS and his fellow musicians.
At the same time, in the central area of the Festival (Artemonas), you will be able to watch:
- Demonstration of the traditional art of pottery at the DRAGATSI building in Artemonas, where a Sifnian pottery exhibition is organized by the Sifnos Pottery Association.
- At the same building (DRAGATSI cinema) you can watch movies related to gastronomy
Thursday, September 7th, at 12.00: SEA - TREATS at Vathy
Friday, September 8th:
- The "Vathi of Sifnos" Association "opens" the Festival's events, with treats and tastings on the pier, by the waves, with music and dance from our islands!
Saturday September 9th:12:00, Prokos Foundation, Apollonia
- 11:00 am: DEMONSTRATION OF THE SIFNIAN BREAKFAST at PANAGIA TO VOUNO
- A holiday day ideally starts with a Sifnian breakfast! A combination of local products, cooking and baking with aromas of the Sifnian land offer a different experience - a "tool" for professionals! Sage and other herbs, cheeses, olives, bread, jams and biscuits, sweet and savory treats for every palate and stomach in recommended combinations and more!
- From 12:30 onwards: SEA-TREATS at Faros (Fasolou beach)
- At FASOLOU beach, in the picturesque village of Faros, by the sea, the Faros Association welcomes the Festival hosts representatives and all the island visitors. The members of the Association together with Faros residents will be there to greet you with their usual, festive mood, to meet with the "elder" and to get to know the "younger". They will prepare delicious local appetizers for all, and promise beautiful moments under the …sounds of the Sifnian “takimi”.
- "Tselementes recipes as an integral part of the Mediterranean diet and their beneficial effects to our health according to scientific studies": Presenting Dr. Valentini Konstantinidou, researcher of the Mediterranean diet, extra virgin olive oil and gene expression.
- A few words about the presentation: "Modern scientific research confirms and promotes our Mediterranean diet all over the world as the only food model capable of preventing cardiovascular and other diseases. Dr. Valentinι Konstantinidou will present the latest scientific data and ways to implement the Mediterranean diet in our everyday life."
With love and passion, for the 11th year, we are setting a large "dining table" in Artemonas and all over the island...
The Cultural Association of Sifnos, the South Aegean Administrative Region and the Municipality of Sifnos invite you and welcome you...